Here it is; the beginning of the holiday season. Amazing how it just sneaks up on you. Personally, I can’t be more excited, because I finally have a little one to try and amaze with decorations, holiday music, and the start of family traditions! Whether the holiday season drives you to put up three Christmas trees all before December 1st or if it just drives you bonkers, I know that all the hustle and bustle is best tolerated when we make a little time for ourselves every day. You may not be able to squeeze a spin class in on the morning of Thanksgiving or even do the community’s Turkey Trot that always sounds like a good idea but just never happens, BUT you may be able to find time to do this quick 10 minute workout in a corner of your room before even getting out of your PJ’s!
No excuses, moms! It is simple, short and will leave you feeling rejuvenated! Plus, it is our little way of GIVING this Thanksgiving!
10 Minutes of Mommy Rejuvenation
- Start standing sweeping the arms all the way up to the sky. Open your chest and then dive forward bringing your fingers to your toes. Slide your fingers up your legs as roll back up to standing. Do this 6 times!
- Walk your hands out till you are in a plank. Hold a plank (see picture below) while you take 10 deep inhales and 10 deep exhales.
- Sit your glutes back on your heels for a back stretch while walking your fingers as far out in front of you as possible.
- Lay on your back with your legs flat on the floor and reach your fingers to the ceiling. Then, breathe out as you roll your upper body off the floor, reaching fingers to your toes. Roll back down on the floor one vertebrae at a time. Do this 10 times.
- Laying on the floor, curl your head and shoulder blades off the ground and put your hands behind your head. Then bring opposite elbow to opposite knee, as the other leg extends out to a 45 degree angle. Then switch legs. Keep alternating for a total of 30 counts.
- Flip on to your belly and bring your arms out to a “T” shape. Lift the arms, upper body and legs off the floor about 1-2”. Protect your low back by pressing your pubic bone down and lifting your belly to your spine. Then make small circles with your entire arm, 25 in each direction.
- Go on to your knees and hands and round your back up like an angry cat and hold 5 seconds, then let the back arch down for 5 seconds. Do 5 times.
- Stand up and walk your feet wide with your toes turned out slightly. Take your hands to prayer position in front of your chest and bend the knees to squat down low and then come right back up. Do 25 of these.
- Keeping your legs wide, take your fingers to the ground and walk both hands to your right foot, keeping the legs straight. After 10 seconds, walk your hands to the other side. Hold 10 seconds. Then back to the middle and roll up to standing.
- Walk your feet side by side. Bring the arms to the sky while taking in a big inhale, and then a big exhale as your arms come by your side.
Now you are ready, Super Mom, to start your day!
-Molly Markham Lipp